- Congress is back this week from a two-week recess and plans to quickly take up additional aid for Ukraine. Lawmakers will also return to the COVID-19 relief package debate that was put on pause when they adjourned earlier this month. After these and a few other immediate tasks, Democrats will focus on efforts to develop a revised package that furthers the Administration’s social agenda.
- There’s been no movement on the LIFELINE Act (R. 7078). However, Reps Alma and Rouzer circulated a Dear Colleague letter to encourage other members of the House of Representatives to cosponsor the legislation.
- The NC Housing Coalition is joining the National Low Income Housing Coalition and the Campaign for Housing and Community Development Funding for a national Call-In Day today, April 26. Join us in urging our senators and representatives to make significant investments in affordable housing in the fiscal year (FY) 2023 budget and in any reconciliation package. You can use NLIHC’s National Call-In Day script to help create your message to Congress! Check out the full details for the Call-In Day here, and don’t miss this opportunity to join the national movement for affordable housing.
- NCGA Asks… $100m WHLP Recurring $20M HTF
- Buncombe County is considering an affordable housing bond for the ballot in this year’s upcoming election. Commissioners heard results of a feasibility study last week and will decide whether to move forward at its meeting on May 3. The public survey found that 63% of respondents would support a $40 million affordable housing bond: Buncombe County Board of Commissioners Hears Bond Feasibility Survey Results | Buncombe County North Carolina
- In Charlotte, Mayfield Memorial Community Development Corporation and DreamKey Partners held a groundbreaking ceremony for Sugaree Place, a 51-unit affordable apartment building with rental housing targeting households with incomes between 30-80 percent AMI: Groundbreaking ceremony held for new affordable housing unit in Charlotte | Fox 46
- In Greensboro, fewer landlords are accepting housing vouchers and supply is low at all income levels. The Greensboro Housing Authority is working to find more landlords who will participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program to increase options for voucher holders seeking housing: Greensboro Housing Authority reports fewer apartment communities accepting voucher programs | Fox 8
- The Cary Town Council is considering a rezoning proposal for a mixed-income apartment building on Maynard Rd. If approved, the project would be built on town-owned land. Half of the 130 units would be affordable to households earning 80% or less than the area median income (AMI): As Triangle home prices soar, Cary considers affordable housing project | News & Observer
- Last year, Raleigh sold a parcel of city-owned land for $1 to build affordable housing. The project is now moving toward construction and will have 17 homes available to buyers at various income levels: Raleigh’s $1 land deal for affordable housing moves closer to construction | Triangle Business Journal
- In Swain County, candidates for the Board of Commissioners agree that affordable housing is the key issue facing the community: Swain commissioner candidates weigh in on affordable housing | Smoky Mountain News
- Durham’s Harriet Tubman YWCA will be renovated to provide affordable housing for households earning 30-60% AMI with at least 4 units set aside for people experiencing homelessness: Historical Durham YWCA to be renovated for affordable housing | ABC 11
Reports, events, resources
- TODAY Call-In Day: The Campaign for Housing and Community Development Funding (CHCDF) is hosting a national call-in day on 4/26. Advocates should call their senators and representatives urging them to make significant investments in affordable housing in the FY2023 federal budget and in any reconciliation package. NLIHC has a call script available to help guide your messages to Congress.
- Virtual event: Housing Solutions Lab and NYU Furman Center host Legal Frameworks for Addressing Racial Disparities in Housing 4/28 @ 12pm
- Report: The Gap: A Shortage of Affordable Homes 2022 | NLIHC
- S. Housing Starts Unexpectedly Rise to Fastest Pace Since 2006 | Bloomberg
- Concentration in Homebuilding Driven by a Few Large Builders | Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies
- Public/Private Partnerships are Crucial to Meet the Demand for Affordable Housing | Forbes
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Affordable Housing, But Were Afraid to Ask | Forbes
- New Data Shows Who, Exactly, Got Evicted the Most During the Pandemic | Mother Jones
- What will it take to boost housing supply? | Marketplace
- Millions of Americans are resorting to risk ways to buy an affordable home | NPR
- Homeowner Groups Seek to Stop Investors From Buying Houses to Rent | The Wall Street Journal
- As Pandemic Aid Ends, Struggling Families Face a Housing Nightmare | Washington Post
- Triangle renters, home buyers caught in big price squeeze: Costs surge, no relief in sight | Wral Tech Wire
- Habitat for Humanity weathers pandemic supply chain issues to help Charlotte residents get affordable housing | WBTV