Thank you for joining us on this week’s Housing Call! Our next Housing Call will be on Tuesday, October 1 at 9:30am. Use the call in information above to join.
- Chapel Hill appointing Taskforce to study SROs after Raleigh added rules and a permitting system earlier this year https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/orange-county/article234919907.html
- Charlotte Housing Authority voted to extend voucher time frames from 120 to 180 days https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article235140482.html Currently 6,000 applicants and 210 voucher holders currently searching
- Wilmington City Council approved a resolution to allow the Wilmington Housing Authority to issue $27 million worth of bonds for the rebuild of Market North Apartments damaged during Hurricane Florence. https://www.wwaytv3.com/2019/09/17/council-approves-27-million-bond-to-rebuild-market-north-apartments/
- New paper from Harvard JCHS showing major national decline in low-cost rental units https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/blog/new-paper-details-the-dramatic-decline-of-low-cost-rentals/
- White House Council of Economic Advisers’ released a report on The State of Homelessness in America recommending deregulation, increased policing, and greater self-sufficiency. https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/The-State-of-Homelessness-in-America.pdf
- Richard Cho who served in the USICH during the Obama administration podcast on Trump proposal on Housing First https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cq-on-congress/id1050795708?i=1000450449423&fbclid=IwAR2CV7bwVZS9RfsS16PTEdbW2xzjWye3Aod–ms5fWcddS32dse_Czua4_8
- “Examining the Racial and Gender Wealth Gap in America” at House Financial Services’ Subcommittee On Diversity and Inclusion today at 2PM https://financialservices.house.gov/calendar/eventsingle.aspx?EventID=404344
- Housing RSF on Thursday morning 10-noon
- Housing Works Conference October 7-8: pre-registration ends October 2
- Triangle J COG Board of Delegates approved looking into creating a regional housing strategy/initiative. They are on the front end of this effort and are looking for what collaborative housing approaches, strategies, initiatives look like across the state. If you have local examples to share, use the link to the feedback form below.
Action for the week
- Contact your representatives and tell them to sign on as a cosponsor to the Affordable Housing Credit Improvement Act
Do you have affordable housing news, events, or policies you’d like to share on our next Housing Call? Do you have feedback on how we can improve these calls? Submit your updates and comments here.