It is hard to believe that there are less than 60 days left in the year! As we near the end of 2022, there is no limit to the work that still has to be done, but one of our largest focus areas right now is that of preparing our policy agenda for the upcoming 2023 long legislative session.
We ended the most recent long session with key housing allocation changes such as:
- A $10 million increase in the state’s Housing Trust Fund (HTF), the first increase to the HTF since 2016, putting it at its highest level since 2007.
- The removal of caps on the Workforce Housing Loan Program (WHLP), allowing the funds to reach the developments with the most need.
- An additional $20 million added to the $170 million allocation to WHLP.
- The NCGA’s decision to swap out the $170 million in federal SLFRF funds for $170 million in state general funds to circumvent challenges presented by Treasury guidance.
These big wins are not possible without our partners, legislative housing champions, service providers, advocates, and community members across the state. Even with these wins, our core work remains the same: ensure that every North Carolinian has a home in which to live with dignity and opportunity. In order to continue effectively advocating and growing our movement to get the resources we need to address our growing affordable housing crisis, we are asking for your feedback on our policy agenda as we prepare for 2023.
Between today, November 2, 2022, and 5pm on November 15, 2022, we are releasing a survey we would like statewide participation in. You can find the survey by clicking here.
We want you to let us know:
- What are the biggest issues facing your community and those you serve?
- Is there anything from our 2021 Policy Agenda that we should prioritize, change, or add?
- How would you like to engage in our advocacy work?
Feedback is anonymous unless you decide to provide your name and email at the very end but doing so is completely optional. We look forward to hearing from you and updating you in a few weeks with our 2023 Policy Agenda.
For questions about this process, the survey, or to provide more feedback, feel free to reach out to Stephanie Watkins-Cruz, Director of Housing Policy at email@example.com.
To see our budget analysis of the FY22-23 North Carolina state budget, click here.
To view our 2021 policy agenda, click here.