CLASSIFICATION: To be determined by qualification and experience of candidate Posted: 06/06/2017
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB: This position is responsible for day-to-day oversight and management of the Transitions to Community Living Initiative (TCLI) program within Vaya Health. The TCLI Director must have thorough knowledge and understanding of the State of North Carolina’s August 2012 Settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice and the DHHS TCL Initiative and must effectively implement systems and operational guidelines to achieve the state performance measures for this initiative. The TCLI Director must project a clear vision, mission and purpose internally and externally, connecting the requirements of the USDOJ Settlement with the purpose of building a meaningful community life for members through Vaya’s in-reach and transition activities. This role requires housing, employment and clinical management skills due to the complex needs of individuals served. This position strategically works in conjunction with Vaya’s Legal & Compliance Department to ensure appropriate and professional communications with oversight authorities and accountability to the TCLI requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Implements a dynamic, proactive approach to supervision, monitoring and evaluation and utilizes data analytics to ensure quality supports and consistent adherence to TCLI and USDOJ Settlement requirements.
- Leads and develops a professional, high-performing team to ensure the effective, efficient and economic development of targeted inventions to surpass DOJ requirements and fiscal investments.
- Maintains ongoing awareness of TCLI program goals and proactively and timely notifies Chief Operations Officer and Executive Leadership Team of ongoing performance status, updates and changes occurring within the TCLI program.
- Serves as primary point of contact with DHHS staff and other LME/MCOs regarding TCLI activities, and coordinates with Risk & Regulatory Affairs Director (Waiver Contract Manager) in responding to requests from DHHS for TCLI data and information.
- Participates in internal committees and assures accurate completion of TCLI reports related to requirements and other activities.
- Collaborates with Finance and Provider Network Operations (PNO) Departments to ensure adherence to non-UCR service allocations for TCLI services
- Participates in state, local and internal meetings about TCLI and provides reports to appropriate Vaya staff regarding the results of such meetings and their impact on Vaya’s operations
- Collaborates with Utilization Management, PNO and Quality Management Departments to:
- Identify service gaps and needs for TCLI participants and TCLI eligible members;
- Ensure provider network has sufficient capacity to serve all identified needs of TCLI participants; and
- Ensure that service delivery is in accordance with evidence-based or best practice models.
- Collaborates with housing & employment staff to identify, assist in developing and monitoring safe and appropriate housing for individuals who qualify for the TCLI program.
- Provides leadership, in collaboration with other Vaya leaders, to promote strong cohesiveness regardless of department, role or office location…promotes one vision, one voice
- Provides effective supervision, leadership and training for TCLI team members, including but not limited to conducting or attending team meetings facilitated by managers and traveling to remote office locations for supervision, as well as making sure the TCLI Department maintains adequate coverage to meet all requirements.
- Collaborates with COO, Legal & Compliance Department, PNO, and various managers and others to promote member/community stakeholder satisfaction through ongoing communication and refinement of delivery of TCLI services as needed.
- Effectively and professionally communicates with providers, DHHS staff, the independent reviewer, other Vaya staff, and TCLI participants as needed.
- Ensures all TCLI activities are implemented in accordance with the terms and conditions of the DMA Contract, USDOJ Settlement, DMH/DD/SAS Contract, guidelines /protocols/procedures established by DHHS, and internal Vaya policies, procedures, manuals, guidelines and workflows as applicable.
- Ensures quality member services and effectiveness of systems and guidelines through monthly monitoring activities, supervision and monthly review of key performance data.
- Cooperates with internal/external reviews, ensures appropriate follow-up, and collaborates with L&C Department to address identified issues/ concerns and ensure implementation of corrective action through plans of correction or follow-up activities
- Ensures implementation of an active performance improvement/quality assurance process for the TCLI program through the implementation of Quality Improvement Projects
- Models and promotes person-centered practices, including use of person-centered language and person-centered tools in management of transition and in-reach activities
- Completes all required internal and external reporting requirements, including reporting on performance indicators. Carefully reviews internal and external required reports, QIPs and other work to assure accuracy before submission and/or presentation to others.
- Ensures active solution-focused collaboration with Adult Care Homes, State Hospitals, Community Hospitals, and DSS to proactively identify and address barriers and issues experienced by individuals meeting TCLI criteria
- Promotes a spirit of active collaboration with others both internally and externally, with a focus on positive outcomes for individuals supported
- Ensures timely resolution of all grievances related to the TCLI program
- Ensures visibility of TCLI program within Vaya catchment area (e.g. attends Vaya Provider Advisory Council, specific regional and local housing meetings, regional DSS Meetings, service collaborative meetings, etc.) to promote consistency of TCLI implementation across the catchment area, understanding of requirements, rapport and comfort level among all program participants and team members. These community collaboration activities shall not take priority over, or supersede, the job duties necessary to ensure that Vaya meets all state performance measures for the TCLI program.
Directly responsible for supervision of two TCLI Managers (In-Reach and Transition), Trainers and TCLI Administrative Support and for overall management of the entire TCLI Department, consisting of over 20 staff members:
- Ensures recruitment, hiring and supervision of staff based on the needs of the department.
- Ensures that all probationary and annual performance reviews are completed objectively and in a timely manner.
- Ensures regular observations, reviews of job performance and ongoing supervision to ensure appropriate provision of all activities.
- Provides and approves training on job responsibilities for team members.
- Reviews and approves assigned employment paperwork for employees (e.g. timecards, employee reimbursement requests, etc.)
- Ensures appropriate documentation of meetings and supervision
- Ensures all HR and related procedures are followed
- Ensures that all employees within team receive ongoing training of changes in state, agency or departmental regulations, policies, procedures, service definitions, and operations guidelines
QUALIFICATIONS & CREDENTIALING REQUIREMENTS:
- A Master’s Degree in a Human Services field with 10 years management or supervisory experience in the health care industry, social services or housing development field and 5 years of housing experience; OR
- A Master’s Degree in Public Administration or Business Administration with 5 years management or supervisory experience in the health care industry, social services or housing development field and 5 years of housing experience; OR
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a Human Services field with 5 years management or supervisory experience in the health care industry, social services or housing development field and 10 years of housing experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior fiscal, innovative community housing development experience and/or project management experience are highly preferred.
- Demonstrated history of meeting strategic performance outcomes and successfully managing project deliverables/outcomes
- Experience in leading a performance relationship with external stakeholders
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Close visual acuity required to perform activities such as preparing and analyzing documents, viewing a computer terminal and extensive reading. Physical activity in this position includes crouching, reaching, walking, talking, hearing and repetitive motion of hands, wrists and fingers. The position involves sedentary work, with lifting requirements up to 10 pounds, and sitting for extended periods of time. Mental concentration is required in all aspects of work.
KNOWLEDGE OF JOB:
This position requires a high degree of autonomy, professional relationships and community building skills:
- Excellent organizational and management skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Excellent ability to understand and interpret complicated written material and verbal prese
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to manage competing priorities and projects.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills are required, including thorough knowledge and excellent skills in English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate initiative, and be goal-oriented.
- Ability to problem solve and provide practical, thorough and creative solutions to work tasks.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in applying and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Ability to coordinate, effectively train/coach and oversee the duties of others to ensure high quality services
- Working knowledge and expertise in the areas of mental illness and substance use, housing first, and psychiatric rehabilitation
- Ability to exemplify and promote in others a positive, solution-focused attitude
- Ability to promote effective partnerships between TCLI state partners, landlords, providers, and community stakeholders
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with associates, officials and the public.
- Ability to work effectively with others to promote a team effort to address the needs of the individuals serve
- Ability to express directions, comments and opinions clearly and concisely in oral and/or written form.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office products (such as Word, Excel, Outlook, e) Advanced skills in MS Excel and Word that include pivot tables, graphs, charts, etc. are strongly preferred.
- Propensity to make prompt, independent decisions based upon relevant facts and established processes.
- Detail oriented, able to independently organize multiple tasks and priorities, and to effectively complete reporting measures within assigned timeframes.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, diplomacy, negotiation and conflict resolution skills, as well as the ability to handle stressful situations, are essential.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and program practices/requirements applicable to Vaya Health’s operations in North Carolina, particularly those impacting the TCLI program and TCLI participants, is beneficial.
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail, extreme precision and meticulous accuracy for all tasks.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements.
- Ability to develop organizational performance reports according to standard templates, using natural language, is required.
- Ability to focus on discovering root causes and not just symptoms is necessary.
- Ability to manage project scope and priorities is vital. Experience with project management methodologies is a plus.
SALARY: Grade/Step is determined by qualification and experience of candidate. Position is full-time salary with comprehensive benefits. This position is exempt from overtime compensation.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open until filled.
APPLY TO: You can view the position online and apply through www.vayahealth.com. Vaya Health is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.