|Job Title:||AFFORDABLE HOUSING DEVELOPMENT OFFICER|
|Closing Date/Time:||Mon. 06/18/18 12:00 PM Eastern Time|
|Hiring Salary Range:||$50,886 – $67,143|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
|Location:||Town Hall, Chapel Hill, North Carolina|
This position offers the opportunity to manage strategic affordable housing initiatives collaboratively with a high performing, energetic, fun, and diverse team. The Affordable Housing Development Officer is responsible for identifying innovative housing opportunities serving a range of incomes, from homelessness to market-rate, consistent with the Town’s goals.
We are looking for someone to join our Team that is committed to working with us to reach our affordable housing goals through their ability to lead housing development and preservation projects. We believe this person is going to need:
- A strong desire to get results along with the persistence and knowledge needed to move affordable housing projects through various Town and community processes.
- Proven ability to initiate, analyze and manage development projects.
- Excellent collaboration and relationship building skills that establish partnerships and effective teamwork within and outside the Town’s organizational structure.
- An innovation mindset that actively solicits and fosters the ideas of others.
Working for the Town of Chapel Hill
The Town of Chapel Hill is committed to talent development and will provide professional development opportunities to help employees build the portfolio of technical skills and experiences needed to advance their careers.
Chapel Hill is a multicultural university town where a dynamic downtown and networked community inspire connections, innovation, technology, discovery, learning, and the arts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies and analyzes affordable housing opportunities and methods to create innovative affordable housing consistent with the Council’s goals;
- Assist in the creation of affordable housing development in collaboration with internal and external partners;
- Refine existing goals/strategies and implement projects consistent with approved affordable housing strategies;
- Develop financial pro-formas detailing the suitability of projects for inclusion as affordable housing properties.
- Analyze affordable housing proposals. Perform cost benefit analysis of identified sited/projects.
- Manages and oversees implementation of various affordable housing related special projects;
- Writes communications, documents and plans for Town staff, Council, Advisory Boards and the public;
- Provides staff support to Town Advisory Boards, committee, and internal and external customers;
- Participates in the development review process; advocates for affordable housing interests and inclusion of affordable housing in proposed developments;
- Participates on Town teams and cross-departmental projects;
- Performs other duties as required.
May require supervision of staff or interns.
The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk with intermittent standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
The work is typically performed in an office environment
- Real estate development and finance
- Community development and affordable housing
- Land use planning practices
- Current practice, issues and housing policy in: (1) affordable housing preservation; (2) mixed-income development and finance; and/or (3) low income housing tax credits
- Simultaneously work on multiple tasks and set priorities;
- Develop innovative approaches to create housing opportunities serving a range of income levels;
- Successfully select and manage consultants
- Think systemically about housing initiatives;
- Manage workload with great organization, initiative, attention to detail and follow-through;
- Solve problems and make sound decisions;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Model behavior that is consistent with our values of RESPECT (Responsibility, Equity, Safety, Professionalism, Ethics, Communication, and Teamwork);
- Utilize a personal computer and various word processing and database software applications;
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with employees, customers, and supervisors
- Promote a culture of workplace safety.
- Manage projects of various sizes
- Work creatively within a regulation-driven environment
Any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
A Bachelor’s degree in real estate finance, public administration, business, economics, planning or related field, or equivalent experience. Master’s degree preferred.
At least 3 years of demonstrated experience with multifamily real estate development and housing and community development is preferred, including project financing; market analysis; deal structuring; and financial analysis.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
A valid NC driver’s and the availability of private transportation or the ability to provide transportation between job sites is required.
For more information and to apply: http://www.townofchapelhill.org/town-hall/departments-services/human-resource-development/employment/job-openings