The North Carolina Weatherization Assistance Program provides weatherization services to low-income persons throughout the state. The program reduces household energy use and costs by improving the energy efficiency of a participant’s home. Thousands of North Carolina homeowners and renters qualify to have their homes weatherized. Qualifications are based on income, and there is no age limit. The Weatherization Assistance Program is free to those who meet the income guidelines, and is implemented in all counties in the state through local agencies.
To find a weatherization program in your area, click here.
Weatherization treats the entire home to a cost-effective, energy-efficient makeover, and may include :
- Preventing drafts by sealing air leaks from doors and windows.
- Insulating attics, walls, floors and pipes.
- Sealing and insulating ducts.
- Installing a smart thermostat.
- Replacing existing lighting with energy efficient bulbs.
- Replacing non-energy efficient refrigerators with energy efficient models.
- An inspection and testing of heating/cooling systems for efficiency and safety purposes.